Monday, October 1, 2012

One Month In & Lakeshore Learning Surprise

Good Morning to everyone out there!  Happy Monday!

I am officially one month into my school year and so far so good. I looped up with most of my class from kindergarten so we have our routines and procedures down cold. I also went from 27 students to 20 so that helps make our day much smoother.

One of my goals for this year is help my students become independent thinkers.  I use the workshop model in all content areas which means my students have a lot of time they are working independently or in small groups.  This is fabulous until a group gets finished with their task and are wondering what to do next.

This is where the internet comes in handy.  There are SOOOO many fantastic resources out there for teachers and here are a few I use in my classroom. One if our favs is the Froggy Hearts Addition game from Swamp Frog First Graders.
Another great activity for students to work on when they are finished is building with pattern blocks.
Our newest favorite activity came over the summer.  I was contacted by Lakeshore Learning (one of my most favorite places to go shopping for all things teaching) and they asked if I would be interested in using one of their newer products in my classroom.  Of course I said YES! I few days later it arrived!

 Last year, our favorite math unit was our geometry unit.  I wanted to keep up their learning about shapes so I got an activity my students could play independently when they finish their math task.   The Roll and Build at My Seat Geometry game was a great way to to sustain their learning about 2-D and 3-D shapes and build independent practice.  

The activity comes with a laminated card with very clear directions, a large foam dice with shape pictures that are easy to read and pieces for building shapes.  I only had to explain the directions once and my students were off and building.


We spent the few days before learning about what it looks like to have effective math partnerships.
I will absolutely be getting more of these activities for my classroom.  They are easy to store, easy to use and align to the first grade CCSS. You can grab a few yourself for 25% off
Enjoy 25% off from Lakeshore: www.lakeshorelearning.com/savenow


1 comments:

ruzzel01 said...

Having fun time as a part of the teaching makes kids more interested.

Day trading

Post a Comment