Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Lost and Found . . . part 2 (bear with me I have a few goodies at the end)

 I know what your thinking, 2 posts in 2 days.  It's a little crazy, but I'm excited to share the beginning of August with you and a few things I've been working on.  

For those of you that read my post yesterday, thanks for not forgetting about me.  Here is a continuation of my summer as it rolled into August.

August began when we reunited with our oldest daughter. found myself missing her like crazy and was so happy to have my family back under the same roof. Maddie returned from the south with the in-laws as they came into town to watch our girls during The Cascade Lakes Relay. 

Get Out of the Van at the starting line
Shortly before the race I lost my mind with worry about whether or not I was ready for the race.  My hips were hurting and mentally I did not feel like I was capable.  I had been training most of the summer and even found a wonderful running buddy; but I was still a sack of nervous energy before the race.

Here is the lowdown on The Cascade Lakes Relay; 216.6 miles in 35 hours; 12 team members.  Each person ran 3 different legs of the race ranging from 8.5 miles to 2 miles. It's very similar to the Hood to Coast except the weather is warmer, the terrain is steeper and the scenery is absolutely beautiful.  Here are some highlights:


Van 2 getting ready to run

We camped at Diamond Lake the night before, this was the starting line of the race.


As we were waiting for our turn to run we stopped off at Crater Lake

Mr. M warming up for his legs
The weather was about 90 degrees with little shade - thanks so much to my  team for stopping to give me water!

There's a rare shot of me running - I had to walk half of it.  7.5 miles is a long way!
Handing off to a team member

Yes we literally ran up a mountain!

Cooling off in the hot summer sun

The reward at the end of the 3rd leg

This is my brother-in-law as Tweety in the costume leg!

Here we are at the Finish Line!  Did not think I was going to make it.

My sister - she just had a baby 5 months ago and then trained to run 20 miles - you are my hero!
This experience was amazing, and although at the time I was cursing it; looking back I find myself remembering the good parts and feeling lucky that I ran with such a supportive, positive team.  I could not have done this without them.  In fact in 3 weeks I will be doing it again as we run Hood to Coast.  Now I know that teaching kindergarten caused a short in my brain because I thought it was a good idea to run 2 relays back to back.  I've LOST my mind!


Things have finally settled down at our home.  My girls are back under the same roof and we still have a few weeks until school starts back.  The Dogs Days of Summer are here:

I did promise you a few things I have been working on.  I try not to do too much over the summer, but I do enjoy reading and have been reading some professional books in between running.  I also have been working on some year long planning for teaching first grade. Here is what I have so far for my reader's and writer's workshop:  
Year Long Plan for Reader's Workshop - from the book First Grade Readers by Stephanie Parsons.



First Six weeks of Writer's Workshop  - from the book First Grade Writers by Stephanie Parsons






I'm also working on creating a document similar to the one I made for kindergarten for teaching Reader's Workshop in the first 30 days of school. Hopefully it won't take me a month to load it!

3 comments:

Tim said...

It's good your thoughts on the relay are getting brighter. We're doing it again next year:-p! You were a trooper and did a great job on this year's. Next year will be even better!

Tammy said...

Your race looks like a blast, minus the hot weather. My best friend has wanted us to do a ragnar, which sounds a lot like what you did.
❀ Tammy
Forever in First

Maria Eshman said...

I just found your blog and became your newest follower! :) Thanks for the great ideas for planning out writer's workshop.

I'm also a runner, but have never done a team relay like that! They have a similar race in KY called the Bourbon Run that I've been interested in.
I'd love for you to check out our new blog and let us know what you think!
Thanks,
Maria
http://curiousfirsties.blogspot.com

Post a Comment