Thursday, June 7, 2012

I'm Back . . . and I'm Getting Back to Nature

Hi Friends!
I feel like I am greeting my kindergarten class.  I know it has been awhile, a LONG while, but I have been overwhelmed with life.  Testing, report cards, running, training for Hood 2 Coast & Cascade Lakes, raising a VERY busy 2 year old, you get the picture. Things are finally beginning to settle a little bit and I thought I would share something I'm working on over the summer. I still have a few days of school left (7 to be exact) but my report cards are finished, my testing is done and the rest of my time spent with my kiddos should be enjoyable!


I decided to end the year with an ABC countdown to summer.  I've never done anything like this before, in fact I'm usually one of those teachers that tries to maintain complete normalcy until the very end.  However this year has been anything BUT normal.  I know it's a little late but maybe you can use this for next year.  


ABC Countdown to Summer



As you can see today we are on letter T - twin day! My teaching partner and I will be twins, I will try to post some pics later.


So as I am preparing for the end of the year, I decided to do a unit on camping in conjunction with the ABC countdown. I choose camping because I was sure it was an experience that most children had or knew about.  Imagine my shock when we did a graph on the first day about who has been camping and 10 out of my 25 students had never been.


There is a book I've been wanting to read for sometime and this was the catalyst I needed to dive into my own personal summer book study.  This is one I'm doing for me!  I quickly went to Amazon and purchased the book Last Child in the Woods; Saving Our Children from Nature Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv.




My goal by reading this book is to create experiences in my classroom where children can get back to nature by discovering the world around them.  I want to embed experiences into my writer's and reader's and math workshop.  I haven't started the book yet, but I'm really looking forward to reading it when our family takes a trip to Yellowstone this summer.


What are your summer reads?

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Welcome back! Hood 2 Coast? I'm guessing that's a run? I'll be running the Seattle Rock and Roll half in a few weeks. Oh, and I've got a pile of good reads waiting for me (The Book Whisperer, Comprehension Connections, The Fluent Reader, etc.)
❀ Tammy
Forever in First

Primary Possibilities said...

We are your newest follower! Come visit us! http://primarypossibilities.blogspot.com/

Owl Things First said...

I sooo want to read this book! I think I'll order it along with In Pictures and in Words by Katie Wood Ray....So many books. So little time!
Jenny

Owl Things First

Miss Trayers said...

I just read that book! It's a little slow in parts but I completely agree with the premise and it was interesting to find out the unfortunate statistics of many kids' nature deficit. It's inspired me to incorporate outdoor workstations next year.
NotJustChild'sPlay

Post a Comment