Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tuesday Top Ten ~ Mentor Texts for Making Mental Images

Currently we are working on how to make mental images while we read. We have been reading My Father's Dragon and today we finished the final book, The Dragons of Blueland.  These short chapter books are such a fun read aloud and lend themselves very easily to making mental images.

Here are ten more books I love to use when I teach about making mental images:

1. I Stink by Kate McMullan

2. The Salamander Room  by Anne Mazer

3. The Animal by Lorna and Lucia Balian (Thanks Mrs. Berg for introducing me to this fabulous book!)

4. Close Your Eyes by Kate Banks

5. Imagine a Night by Sarah L. Thompson

6. Almost any Jack Prelutsky poem

7. Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost

8. If by Sarah Perry

9. Bedhead by Margie Palatini



10. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Click HERE for a printable copy and a list of lesson ideas.


Here are a few reading responses you can use to capture student thinking on making mental images.

What books do you like to use to teach about mental images?

3 comments:

Miss Foote said...

Great book list. I like to use, Drip, Drop, Splash by Alvin Tresselt.

Laurie
Chickadee Jubilee

arustleberry said...

Fabulous list! I like to use Tell Me A Dragon by Jackie Morris. Beautiful images and words! The kids cannot wait to draw their dragon. It works for K-4 beautifully!

Mrs. Poland said...

I love the My Father's Dragon series! It has always been one of my children's favorites.

Post a Comment