|This is what I felt like today!|
Our Writer's Workshop was wonderful!!! We read Library Mouse and talked about what real authors do and the ways that we can be real authors (I will post about this later when I have some pictures - it was a fabulous lesson) The students were all working so hard to write their books. It was LOVELY! By the time we got to the afternoon (only 1 hour later) there was coins being swallowed and bugers being rubbed onto the carpet, you get the picture.
My Top Ten today is inspired by an incident that happened at the very end of the day. These are the top ten things necessary to teach kindergarten that no one ever tells you:
1. Every kindergarten teacher should take crossfit training! I just started and although it's kicking my bootie, it came in handy today when I had to stop a child from slamming a fence into my class.
|This was me on Monday night, minus the bikini and my weights were only 5 pounds and two of these women equal one of me, but I'm getting there!|
2. Every kindergarten teacher should watch Kindergarten Cop - it's really closer to the movie than you think!
3. Every kindergarten teacher should expect the unexpected - like when your students use calendar time to vote on whether they like your hair curly or straight (curly won).
4. Every kindergarten teacher should learn that it's OK to cut students off - don't feel bad when you ask them to stop talking. It's OK to not be nice and tell them that if they keep talking you will literally be here all day.
5. Every kindergarten teacher should carry tissues. You NEVER know when something they say or do will make you cry. They have a way of getting into your hearts and camping out there.
|Where is Pacey when you need him?|
6. Every kindergarten teacher needs to have a team - don't think you can do it by yourself. It truly takes a village! (and it's nice to have someone to take you for happy hour at the end of a LONG week)
|Here's my team - I love these guys!|
7. Every kindergarten teacher needs to take yoga - just as important as crossfit - but it helps you learn how to breathe and strengthens your core for when you have to sit at the carpet for long periods of time. (or for when you have to carry a child to the office )
8. Every kindergarten teacher needs to vent - it's OK to share about your day and vent when something goes horribly wrong. These vent sessions often lead to new ideas and inspiring moments!
9. Every kindergarten teacher needs to be OK with dancing - I was NOT a singer/dancer/chanter. I have since changed my ways and on some days you will find me singing/dancing/chanting my day away. They LOVE this!
|This is what I look like dancing.|
10. Every teacher should teach kindergarten!
What is your advice for teaching kindergarten?