Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tuesday Top Ten . . . books for teaching Schema & Connections

I tried to think of something more clever for my Tuesday Top Ten list, but frankly I don't have it in me tonight. So I thought I would share with you my favorite books for teaching schema & connections.  I've just introduced this concept to my kindergarten class and they seem to have picked it up very quickly.  I don't have my camera with me tonight, so tomorrow I will post some pictures of our anchor charts and work around schema. This will be hard to keep it to just 10, but I will try.

Activating Our Schema and Making Text-to-Self Connections:

1. ANY Kevin Henkes book.  How's that for getting around the rules.  Most students have some schema about what it's like to be in school so using Chrysanthemum, Owen, Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, Wemberly Worried, Sheila Rae the Brave all give students a connection they can use to help them understand the character.

2. ANY Tomie dePaola book.  His books are so easy to relate to.  My favorites are Oliver Button is a Sissy, The Art Lesson, Nana Upstairs  Nana Downstairs, Now One Foot, Now the Other.

3. Frog and Toad are Friends (or any of the Frog and Toad books) by Arnold Lobel.  Students find it easy to relate to these characters and most students have a large file of friendship in their schema.

4. Alexander and The Terrible, Horrible No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst.  This books also lends itself to a fabulous writing project that you can connect to reading!

5. Ira Sleeps Over by Bernard Waber

Text-to-Text Connections: these books should be read together

6. My Best Friend Moved Away by Nancy Carlson
7. The Lost and Found House by  Michael Cadnum
8. Ira Says Goodbye by Bernard Waber


Text-to-World Connections:

9. ANY Eve Bunting book. My favorite this time of year The Wall.  It really  helps open student's eyes to what is happening around us.

10. The Lorax by Dr. Seuss


I've put all the books into a printable document for you.  I'm also including a response worksheet I use.  Enjoy!

Mentor Texts for Teaching Schema and Connections

I Have Schema For

What are your favorite books for teaching schema & connections?

1 comments:

Amanda Viverette said...

I love the notes about making connections! Would you be willing to email this document to me? You must have a SCRIBD account now to download your document and I'm trying at all costs to purchase at this time!

My email is adviverette85@gmail.com if you are willing to share.

Thanks!

Post a Comment