Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tuesday Top Ten (One day late because I was out enjoying myself last night!) My Favorite Things About Going Back to School

I fully intended to write this post last night, but I went back to school shopping with a friend and by the time I got home I was too tired.  Imagine how I'll feel in two weeks when I have to actually go back to school!  My shopping trip inspired me to write about my favorite things about going back to school.

1. Back to school clothes shopping ~ Those of you that have kids I know you go back to school shopping for your kids, but do you ever go for yourself?  My friend and I, for a few years, have been going back to school shopping for us.  We pick out a new outfit to wear on the first day of school and enjoy what summer has to offer because we return to the hustle and bustle of the school year.  Last night was no exception (except that we didn't time it well, we had a drink before and talked A LOT, and only got to one store!)

2. Back to school book shopping ~ Just when I think I own every book there is about going back to school, I find new ones.  I get so giddy when my Amazon.com package arrives and I open it with my new books!

3. Back to school classroom shopping ~ I always try to get a few new things for my classroom to liven it up and change things up a little bit.  This year I bought all the materials to make those wonderful crate seats.  I'm going shopping for material over the weekend and by Monday I will have 8 new create seats for my classroom. 


4. School Supplies ~ I love new school supplies!  A fresh box of crayons, newly sharpened pencils, undisturbed water colors, all with the possibility of creating something wonderful!


5. New possibilities ~ This year I am teaching kindergarten for the first time and I am nervous yes, but getting more and more excited.  I think as teachers it's good for us to do new things.  Getting stuck in a rut, or in our ways just means that we are NOT giving the best possible education to our students.  What's that saying, "If we teach today's students as we taught yesterday's, we rob them of tomorrow. "John Dewey 


6. The weather ~ Odd choice, but in the Pacific Northwest we have the most beautiful Septembers.  Warm and breeezy and wonderful!


7. Seeing my teaching friends ~ I keep in touch with a few of my friends over the summer, but not as many as I should.  I love going back on that first work day and seeing everybody!
8. New set of lesson plans ~ I think this goes back to the idea of new possibilities.  I love looking at the blank lesson plans and thinking of all the wonderful things I get to do this next year!


9. Seeing my former students ~ It's so fun to see how your students have grown over the summer!

10. Meeting my new class!  September 6th will be here before I know it and I cannot wait to meet my new kindergarteners!!

4 comments:

Tim said...

Just for the record, those shoes you posted are offensive! Sooo bad for you:-)

http://restartrinserepeat.blogspot.com

annspencer said...

I was determined NOT to add any more blogs to read, but I ACCIDENTALLY found yours with the whole year planned, and a detailed writer's workshop plan that matches what I usually do -- so I had to add one more. Thank you so much for sharing!!

Jennifer Votra said...

Just found your blog!! love it!!! I was wondering if you had a FB page too? Also, I love your lesson plan template, do you have a blank one that you have shared? And the crate seats!! love them, have you shared how to make them somewhere!?! thanks...so glad i found you!!

Meagan Johnson said...

Do you have a blank lesson plan that you have shared? I love this!!

Post a Comment