Thursday, August 11, 2011

Back to school dreams, planning & a little HELP

Now that August has arrived I've been thinking more and more about school.  It's been slowly creeping up in the back of my mind.  Last night I even had my first (of what will be many) back to school dreams.  Do you eve have these?  I do every year.  Last's night was not a terribly bad one.  On the first day of school I had over 100 messages from parents and I had to return all the calls before the bell rang.  I've had worse, usually involving children that won't listen to me or getting fired.

Now most of you may not realize that I have a type A personality. I'm very much a planner, the more planning the better (however you all know that when it comes to teaching all the planning in the world doesn't matter, kids are so surprising and wonderful) Nonetheless I am a planner.  I started making a year long plan for kindergarten (which I am teaching for the first time). 
There is a super fun website where you can make your own signs.
This is very much a rough draft, but I wanted to share it for feedback. All you wonderful, fantastic, wise kindergarten teachers, please take a look at it and let me know what you think.  I really would appreciate it. (I really liked the format that Jackie Gray used over at Here We Go Loopty Loo, she also did I year long plan that gave me great inspiration for mine!)
Kindergarten Year Long Plan Version 2.0
I also begin to plan out the first 30 days of kindergarten.  I began with writer's workshop because that where my comfort level is.  I've been teaching WW in first and second grade for over 5 years so I just took what I knew and adapted it to kindergarten, but again I would really love some feedback. Eventually I will share my Reader's workshop and phonics plans too.

For WW I would like to know if I am planning too much?  Is this a realistic expectation for 5 year olds?  Am I setting them up for writing success? What did I leave out?  What should I expand on?
Luckily I am still several weeks away from starting.  My first day with my sweet kindergarten class will be Tuesday, September 6th. Lots of time to plan, dream and worry about whether or I not I will make a great kindergarten teacher!

36 comments:

Tim said...

Type A- Plus, you mean....:-)

Deedee Wills said...

This is wonderful! I pinned it!

Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

Megan said...

L -O-V-E it. Thanks for sharing.

Chrissy said...

This looks fabulous--can you share which fonts were used? When I tried to print, everything was blacked out. Thank you!!

ReadWriteSing

Tammi said...

Oh my! You. Are. Wonderful! Seriously! I can't give you any advice because I am too busy celebrating! I love how detailed your frameworks are.

I made the plunge from 1st to K last year and it was such a good fit my principal asked me to stay in K. I hope your experience is as positive as mine! I remember being so overwhelmed about teaching non-readers and writers, but everything worked out fine. I treated them like mini first graders who needed a lot of modeling and picture support and they rose to the challenge.

Writers workshop is one area I struggle with a little bit because I am not a great writer myself (I am much more comfortable with math and science!). I tend go fast and do too much too soon with my mini lessons. I have found myself wishing for a 180 day outline to follow and you just gave me the next best thing. I have Katie Wood Ray's About the Authors. Do you have any suggestions for other writing workshop based texts?

Tammi
Having Fun K-1

TammiL(dot)13(at)gmail(dot)com

Greer's Gossip said...

Thanks so much for sharing. I love this, it is perfect!!! New follower! :)

Tammi said...

I would LOVE IT if you would send that link! Thanks!

Tammi
Having Fun K-1

TammiL(dot)13(at)gmail(dot)com

ErIca said...

thank-you for sharing!!

Andrea said...

Thank you for sharing! I would love to print it but it is also all black blurry for me too! My email is aaparsons@hotmail.com in case you know how I can fix this??? Thank you soooooo much!!!!

mystrerdr said...

Thank you so much!! Writing is an area that I struggle in because I am not a good writer myself. I am so excited about this!!! If there is a link that will help me with the rest of this or a book that I could purchase, please let me know. I appreciate your work and your help. My email is kim@judyscraftsonline.com
Thanks!

TP Treasures said...

I can feel your trepidation--I am moving from 3rd for the past 13 years to TP (transitional primary, the class between K and 1st)The last time I taught 1st was about 25 years ago and soo much has changed. Thank you for posting your writing workshop plans, they are a great guide. Me email is fcarnes@hillsborough.k12.nj.us if you send the link. Thanks again, Fran

MsAssad said...

I would love a copy as well. It is not working on my computer- martine.assad@gmail.com

Teresa said...

I would love a copy also. I made the switch to K this year from 1st. I have to say this has been quite an adjustment. I am thinking I need all the help I can get!! LOL!

teresascraps@gmail.com

Julie said...

This is awesome! I would love a copy too! You have a new follower in me!
Good luck this year! You'll love all the hugs!
jeroth819@gmail.com

katie said...

I love this! I would love a copy too! Have a great year!

ktbaker35@gmail.com

Annie Moffatt said...

I would LOVE a copy of this:) This is fabulous!! Thank you for sharing!

Wendy said...

Love it and and I am needing help beginning WW. I can't get it to work on my computer either. Can you email them to me too at wwayland@scsk12.org? Thanks again!

Angela and Aiden said...

Fantastic! I absolutely love the WW and K Year. I also tried to download and it comes out with black boxes. Can you please send me the files angelacip2@gmail.com! Thank You!

Rachel Potts said...

This is SO helpful! Could you please send me the file too? rachel_potts@charter.net It isn't downloading right for me either.

Chrissy said...

Thanks for sharing! I hope you have a wonderful first day!

ReadWriteSing

Mrs.B said...

haha~I love this!!

Jessica said...

I am soooo excited that you have shared you writing workshop plans! =) I have been searching EVERYWHERE for something like this! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!! =)

Meagan Johnson said...

These are so great! I am a student teacher and these are really helpful! They do not download correctly though. Could you e-mail? mj00844@gmail.com THANKS.

Erin Kate said...

Did you do this for second grade? If so, I would love to see those plans!!! The Kindergarten ones are impeccable.

Jennyfer said...

Hi Erin,
I do have a slightly less put togther year long plan for second grade. If you send me your e-mail I would be happy to share it with you.

scribbledoodleanddraw said...

Hi there, I too tried to download the plans and they didn't work could you send me the link?
clanyon@shaw.ca

Janet said...

This is so helpful! Your plans are so detailed. Thank you for sharing.

kbalek said...

Me to, please!! kbalek@sjeds.org

Claire064 said...

I’d love a copy because when I open it is goes to all black lines. Great job! Thank you for sharing.

claire.mcloughlin@owasso.k12.ok.us

Amy said...

This is awesome! Im having trouble downloading Kindergarten Year Long Plan Version 2.0 off of scribed. Can you please email me a pdf so I can print, look over, highlight, and plan effectively for next year!! Thank you. atamez2@stedwards.edu

Pingles said...

Hello there, I came across your site via Mrs Wills and love the Kindergarten Year Long Plan. I am having trouble downloading it from Srib. Could I ask you to email it to me please.

Thank you so much,
Pat
pat.ingles0123@gmail.com

kristi said...

Love this and would love to download it! This will be my first year doing writers workshop! Thanks! kristicloninger@gmail.com

Jennib said...

Love it! Can you share - it won't print.
jenni.booth@gmail.com

Darrius Woods said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darrius Woods said...

This is wonderful! I would love if you could email this to me. Thanks! darrius.m.woods@gmail.com

Lorena Trevino said...

I'm not sure if my previous comment posted, but this is just what I needed! I don't think it is too difficult or too easy. It is perfect! Can I please have a copy? Loretrev030912@live.com

Post a Comment