This week I thought I would post my top ten in the form of a summer reading list. I still have 7 more days of school to go, but my mind is turning to summer, especially after the BEAUTIFUL weather we had over the weekend.
My reading list is always a mix of teaching books and guilty pleasure books with a few warm & fuzzy books tossed in.
Next year I will be teaching kindergarten for the first time. I am excited and a little anxious and to be honest somewhat nervous. Although after meeting some of the little pumpkins at our kindy open house, the excited feeling is overpowering the nervous/anxious feeling.
My first few summer reads are books to help me prepare for kindy.
1. The Literate Kindergarten by Susan Kempton
6. See Poverty . . .Be the Differenceby Donna Beegle - This is our staff summer reading. I saw her speak and she is so interesting. I'm hoping this book will help my perspective of families and children in poverty and help me as a teacher understand how to work with these families that do not hold education as a priority.
7. Tea Time for the Traditionally Built - A No 1 Ladies Detective Agency Novel by Alexander McCall Smith. - I started reading this series several years ago and I'm totally hooked! It's a fast, fun read and great for my beach trip!
8. Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella - another guilty pleasure beach vacation book!
9. Room by Emma Donoghue - I actually already read this book, I couldn't wait for the summer. It was outstanding and disturbing and heart wrenching.
So I recognize it's an ambitious book list, but I'm pretty motivated and a somewhat fast reader.
What are you reading this summer? Being new to kindy do any of you kindergarten teaches have any suggestions for good books about the kindergarten child?
Also don't forget about my GIVEAWAY - you could win one of three gift cards of your choice!! Just click HERE!
Steakhouse Filet Mignon
9 hours ago