Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My Summer Reading List

This week I thought I would post my top ten in the form of a summer reading list.  I still have 7 more days of school to go, but my mind is turning to summer, especially after the BEAUTIFUL weather we had over the weekend.

My reading list is always a mix of teaching books and guilty pleasure books with a few warm & fuzzy books tossed in.

Next year I will be teaching kindergarten for the first time.  I am excited and a little anxious and to be honest somewhat nervous.  Although after meeting some of the little pumpkins at our kindy open house, the excited feeling is overpowering the nervous/anxious feeling.

My first few summer reads are books to help me prepare for kindy.

1. The Literate Kindergarten by Susan Kempton

2. No More Letter of the Week by Pat Lusche

3. No More I'm Done by Jennifer Jacobson - This is not a new read for me, but a  reread.  I usually read it every summer along with Reading with Meaning by Debbie Miller to help re-energize my reading and writing workshop!

4. Born to Run by Christopher McDougall (no it's not the Bruce Springstein song) - this is a book about the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico.  They are the world's greatest distance runners, and they do it with bare feet.  Mr. M just finished it and I'm dying to pick it up!
5. The Death and Life of the Great American School Systemby Diane Ravitch


6. See Poverty . . .Be the Differenceby Donna Beegle - This is our staff summer reading.  I saw her speak and she is so interesting.  I'm hoping this book will help my perspective of families and children in poverty and help me as a teacher understand how to work with these families that do not hold education as a priority.


7. Tea Time for the Traditionally Built - A No 1 Ladies Detective Agency Novel by Alexander McCall Smith. - I started reading this series several years ago and I'm totally hooked!  It's  a fast, fun read and great for my beach trip!


8. Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella - another guilty pleasure beach vacation book!



9. Room by Emma Donoghue - I actually already read this book, I couldn't wait for the summer. It was outstanding and disturbing and heart wrenching.

10. Any suggestions??

So I recognize it's an ambitious book list, but I'm pretty motivated and a somewhat fast reader. 

What are you reading this summer?  Being new to kindy do any of you kindergarten teaches have any suggestions for good books about the kindergarten child?

Also don't forget about my GIVEAWAY - you could win one of three gift cards of your choice!!  Just click HERE!

0 comments:

Post a Comment