Friday, June 10, 2011

Four

Four more days left until the end of this school year.  Four more days of hearing my name called over and over and over and over until I respond or they get tired.  Four more days of snotty noses and toothless smiles and wide eyes when they've discovered something new.  Four more days of waking up to an alarm clock and checking my work e-mail before I go to bed.  Four more days of being greeted every morning with a hug. Four days to go.

Today was a little bittersweet for me.  Although the end of the school year is near, we had a celebration at our school for 3 wonderful teachers that are retiring.  One of them was on my team the past two years and is someone I look to as a mentor and friend.  Three years ago I was invited to open a new school.  Little did I know that when I met my new first grade team that I would be meeting two teachers that would change the way I approach my teaching, students and outlook on education.  Now one of them will still be around for me to observe and ask and bother with questions, but one will be saying goodbye to teaching and hello to a life with new opportunities and a new grandbaby.

When I met Debbie I was a little intimidated.  She was so wise about workshop and conferring and parent communication and students and all things that make a master teacher.  When I started to get to know her I was so excited because we had so many things in common.  She taught in the Lake Washington School district and I went to elementary and middle school there.  Her daughter moved to Brussels. Belgium and I lived there!  She likes wine and I like wine. Could we have more in common? Debbie if you are reading this and I hope you are, I wanted to tell you how much I've enjoyed working with you and getting to know you as a friend.  You've changed me for the better and helped me become a stronger educator.  You've shown me how to set up my workshop so that my students are engaged and learning.  Thank you for being such a wonderful teammate.  I couldn't stand up and say this today at the luncheon, so instead I'm putting it out there on my blog for tens of people to read!  My highest compliment came when Lauren compared me to you.  I wish you all the best on your new job of being retired.  I can't wait to see more pictures of your beautiful grandbaby.  Cheers!

3 comments:

Julie said...

I agree! Debbie and Kathryn have inspired me and I learned so much from them in the 2 years we worked together! :)

And, I love reading your blog, Jen! :)

Beth said...

*Choked Up* I hope you have a great last week of school! Happy Summer :-)
Primary Connections

Kim said...

Jennyfer,

I reposted the nursery rhymes. I tried to email them to you, but my email system didn't like your address. If you still have trouble downloading the files, email me at mrssaylor@sbcglobal.net and if your email comes through, I will send them. Sorry to be so difficult. I don't know how to change it so I can just email you. Hopefully you can download so the point is mute! Good Luck!

Kim

Post a Comment