Monday, May 9, 2011

One Little E-mail can Change the World

Ok, I'm being a little dramatic (you know I like my drama) but I was having an awful day and one e-mail completely turned it around.

I have a student who I absolutely adore.  I know as teachers we say we care about all our students, and I do.  But I also know that some students affect us more than others.  So I have this student.  He is challenging and difficult and I can't figure him out.  He seems to have more bad days than good lately. Yet he has this special place in my heart.  My students love him and embrace him also.  His behavior has become so unstable that his parents chose to keep him out of school for while they figure out the best way to help him.  When I got the e-mail that he would not be returning to school for sometime I cried. I cried because I knew what a difficult decision this was for his family. I cried because my heart went out to this little boy who doesn't understand what's going on.  I even cried the next morning when I went into my classroom and saw his desk.  But I knew this was best for him.  He also has the most wonderful and supportive family who asked for the work he was going to miss while he was out.

I gathered all the materials and made him a folder.  The students will be completing their first take home writing project.  It's a report on the insect of their choice.  I sent home all the papers and by Friday the students need to choose an insect and let me know what it will be. 

Tonight I got an e-mail from my friend telling me what insect he chose. I've been thinking about this little guy since last week. When I opened my e-mail and there it was, my frown turned upside down.  I really was having the worst day.  My students were not themselves today.  I spent more time teaching classroom expectations that teaching curriculum. All that faded away when I saw the e-mail telling me that we wanted to write about lady bugs.  I will now go to sleep with a smile knowing that whatever sorrows may come, one note or message can really make a difference.

1 comments:

Beth said...

Awww another great reminder why we do this job! Thank you for that story! Hope things get figured out for your student!

Beth
http://primaryconnections-beth.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment