Tuesday, May 31, 2011

It's Tuesday, you know what that means . . . yet another top ten list. My Favorite Read Alouds for First Grade!

          One thing about my teaching that has never changed in the 12+ years I've been a teacher is my love for fiction and a good read aloud. I think most of you teachers and parents out there would agree that there is no substitute for an amazing piece of literature.  (I just wish they would stop making them into movies!!)  My school year is still 13 days away from being finished and I have been swamped the past two weeks with end of the year testing.  That is finished (insert sigh of relief) and now I can focus on enjoying these last few precious weeks with my students. During our weeks of testing (DRA, CMA, writing assessment, etc ) we always ended each day with our read aloud.  Currently we are finishing up The Tale of Despereaux by Kate Di Camillo.  It had me thinking about some of my favorite go to read alouds.  This is my first year reading Despereaux to first graders.  I normally would wait until second, but this class chose it as they wanted to compare Despereaux with Ralph (from The Mouse and the Motorcycle) Here are my favorite read alouds of all time.  This week it was difficult to choose only 10 as there are SOOOOO many wonderful pieces of literature.  Following my list is a printable with some activities I use in my classroom.  During each read aloud my students and I also learn about the author of each book and make journals to accompany our story and capture our thinking about the book.


1. The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary


2. My Father’s Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannet

3.Elmer and the Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannet
4.The Dragons of Blueland by Ruth Stiles Gannet
5. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo

6. Ramona the Brave by Beverly Cleary

7. Mr. Popper’s Penguins by Richard Atwater

8. Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

9. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

10.Chocolate Fever by Robert Kimmel Smith


What are your favorite read alouds?

Stay tuned, shortly I will post my journal ideas!

0 comments:

Post a Comment